Saturday, May 15, 2021

A TV Spanking Memory

The mind is an amazing thing. Sometimes distant memories return to me at unexpected moments. I was sitting in my makeshift home office recently when I recalled a TV game show episode from the early seventies. Here's what I think I remember.

The Newlywed Game was a competition that featured four couples married less than one year. Host Bob Eubanks posed a series of questions first to the wives and then, after reuniting the couples, to the husbands. Couples whose responses matched earned points. Fun hijinks and funny arguments ensued. Then there was a second round when the husbands answered first. The couple with the most points at the end won a household appliance supplied by a sponsor.

The questions were often slightly suggestive in a tame 1970s game show sort of way. There were a lot of references to "making whoopee."

As a teen, I was mildly interested in such topics, but I seldom watched TV game shows. For whatever reason, I found myself viewing the Newlywed Game one rainy afternoon. Maybe I was stuck inside and had to choose among four television stations. Anyhow, my attention was captured when the host asked the wives, "How many spankings has your husband given you?" I was immediately enthralled.

The first wife seemed very traditional in her dress and hairstyle. She declared with apparent pride that her husband has never spanked her.

The next wife seemed annoyed with the question and announced that it had only happened once. The implication was never again.

The third wife was a giggly blonde who blushed as she meekly answered,"Ten."

The final wife was a cute brunette who smiled, paused, and said, "It's a whole lot. Twenty maybe?"

After the couples were reunited, the same questions were posed to the husbands. "How many spankings have you given your wife?"

The first husband was a gruff fellow who seemed well matched with his conservative spouse. He correctly predicted his wife's answer of zero.

The second husband was equally successful in recalling their one unfortunate experiment. He rolled his eyes as his wife hrumpfed.

The third husband was a handsome fellow, but he seemed perplexed by the question. Perhaps he was debating whether he wanted to give the actual answer. After a pause, he whispered, "Five." His wife turned over her card which read, "Ten Spankings." She gently bopped him with the card and said, "You know it's a lot more than that." They looked at each other and smiled.

When the camera panned to the fourth couple, the wife was already grinning. When the host asked her husband for a count of spankings, he replied, "Wow. I don't know. Twenty?" His wife popped up and smothered him with kisses. He smiled too and exclaimed, "I give her a little one every morning."

The fouth couple eventually won the competition. At the end of the show, the set divided to reveal the winners' prize. The couple was delighted to see their new avocado green side-by-side refrigerator freezer.

OK, I may have filled in some of the details with the passage of time, but this episode made a huge impression on my teenage mind. I felt simultaneously jealous and in awe. How might this work I wondered? What would it feel like? I wanted to know more!

Of course, I was eventually able to learn all of these answers in the best possible way. But this was the very moment when I first envisioned being a spanked wife.

18 comments :

SPANKEDHORTIC II said...

A question like that would probably get the station in a lot of trouble now. How times have changed

Prefectdt

Bonnie said...

Prefectdt - Perhaps so. The standards have changed over the past fifty years. Shows like this one usually had censors who edited out anything they thought was inappropriate. But talking about spankings must have been fine.

There was a legendary blooper on this show. It never made it on the air, of course, but I remember hearing about it.

PK said...

I watched the game occasionally, but I never saw this episode - I KNOW I would have remembered it. So the winners were the ones who spanked the most. That still seems to be the truth.

Bonnie said...

PK - That nuance was not lost on my young self. I wanted to be a winner too! :)

Roz said...

Oh wow Bonnie,this would have left a huge impression on me too. As Prefectdt said, they wouldn't get away with it now. Interesting that the couple who spanked the most won.

Hugs
Roz

Bonnie said...

Roz - In this show, the contestants often provided answers that the writers probably hadn't anticipated, and that was a big part of the fun. I was definitely rooting for couple number four!

Rich Person said...

I'm still rooting for couple number four.

Jimc said...

Yes I remember that episode and the blooper one was in a show called tv's greatest bloopers with duck clark. There were several episodes that did have questions like that. I think I was a romantic or when it aired i think that was the one that I watched because I had seen a spanking reference once before. Thanks for the memory .I also remember a game show that was called card sharks that had a spanking survey question and her answer was every spanko's dream it was something like there is more than one type of spanking and then she blushed. It was great fun.have a great day.
Jim

Hermione said...

I remember that show well, but not the episode. I'm sure it would have stuck in my mind. I can't believe the honesty; guess couple #4 had been married 20 days:) The blooper was new to me too. Thanks for sharing.

Hugs,
Hermione

Bonnie said...

RP - I still want to *be* couple number four! :)

Jim - There may have been other spanking references, but this is the one that stuck in my memory.

For years, I heard people talk about that blooper, but I figured it was apocryphal. But it really happened as proven by the video. Had I known there were spanking questions on Card Sharks, I would definitely have watched.

Hermione - As I'm sure you recall, the young contestants of that era were inclined to share all sorts on interesting details. I think the producers counted upon it.

I suspect that couple number four was delighted to have each guessed the same large number of spankings.

Anonymous said...

Card Sharks once asked "Has your bf or husband ever gotten so mad at you during an argument, he turned you over his knee for a spanking? 12% answered yes.

Dave Wolfe said...

"Now here's your host, Bob You-spanks!" Wasn't it a shot of adrenaline, Bonnie, when something like that popped up on the "live" TV of our youth?!
I remember the time when Vincent Price, known and beloved for his on-set warmth and humor, spanked Pat Carroll on the game show "Everybody's Talking!" in the mid 60's!

Erica Scott said...

Heehee -- I remember The Newlywed Game, and the Dating Game too... but I sure don't remember this! ;-)
I do remember the wives being asked "What is your husband's favorite crustacean?" and one wife, some ditz who clearly had no idea what a crustacean was, said, "I dunno, that stuff in the corner of your eye?" No lie.
I like your memories better!

Anonymous said...

Bonnie, Is this the actual picture of the contestants of that episode? If so, how did you dig it up?

Anonymous said...

AMATEURS!

The best one I have ever seen was on "Family Feud," with Olympic Gold medalist, Kristi Yamaguchi,and her husband!!!

(I could not figure out how to embed the link so you will just have to copy the link address below and paste it into your browser.)

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/1548099/watch-the-awkward-moment-when-kristi-yamaguchis-husband-brings-up-spanking-on-family-feud

A.

Fondles said...

I don't think we got those programmes over here in my part of the world. Still, it sounds fun! The earliest memory of an American game show I have is The Price is Right. No where near as fun as what you described!

O and P Spanking Stories said...

Brilliant !
Souvenirs...
B (blushing)

Bonnie said...

Anon #1 - I missed that one.

Wolfie - Oh my, yes! Vincent Price in the sixties would have been a superb choice for a spanker. So sophisticated, but with an occasional touch of evil... Muwhahaha

Erica - Most of those game shows were dreck, but once in a while they would make it worth your while to watch. :)

Anon #2 - No such luck. It's just a photo I found on the web. I sought to remind those who remember and inform those who don't.

A. - A little kink with your ice?

Fondles - It was a rarity when any game show was this much fun!

Brigitte - I played this scenario in my head again and again in those days. Perhaps that is why I recall it so clearly.

Post a Comment