Sunday, May 31, 2020

More Potpourri


Hello again, dear friends.

Randy and I are still cooped up inside watching spring become summer. The world is becoming crazier by the day and I find this all worrisome. But for the moment at least, we’re safe and healthy. Regular stress reduction sessions help a lot.

I don’t have anything major to announce, but I do have a few odds and ends to share.

The class I was teaching is now over. It started out in-person, but quickly morphed into virtual instruction. No one planned for that possibility. The transition was stressful and made the learning process more difficult for everyone. There is no question that it was the right move, but I think it diminished the quality of education that our students received. I won’t be teaching again until this ordeal is over (whatever that means).

The theater groups with which I volunteer are shut down with little hope of near term resumption. That makes me sad.

Randy and I are both working from home. He loves it and would happily spend the rest of his career here if permitted. I’m more social and miss daily human contact. But I can do my job from our dining room table, so I’m fine too.

I still don’t want to see anyone’s dick-pics. Every time I visit Fetlife, there are more in my mailbox. Why? I still play only with my husband, just like it says in my profile, but guys just don’t read or maybe they don’t care. The fact that they live in our town doesn’t change that.

If you haven’t visited our blogroll lately, there are many new links to explore. These sites cover a broad range of spanking related topics and media. I would like to hope that there’s something for every spanko. If you have suggested additions or feedback about the links, I welcome your thoughts.

Many of the sites I’ve added this year are hosted on Twitter. There are some great conversations happening there and some spanko friends who are now only on Twitter. I long resisted starting my own Twitter because I lacked adequate time to devote to this blog, let alone anything else. But without teaching, volunteer work, evenings out, gym, and daily commute, perhaps I do have time. I’m not sure whether anyone wants to hear what this grandmother has to say, but maybe I will dip a toe one day soon.

A couple of readers asked why I pulled a post a couple of weeks ago. I will say only that it was not well received.

I sometimes wonder what it would be like to be out. What if spankos knew our names and faces? What if vanillas knew about our kinky sexual preferences? My standard response has been that we cannot come out because it would hurt innocent people and destroy relationships with people who matter to us. But how true is that? That’s a question that Randy and I discussed over takeout Chinese dinner last evening.

The real concern is not the spankos who read this blog. You already know a lot about us. Our worry is those relatives, friends, and co-workers.

We have two living parents, but it’s unlikely they would ever learn anything regardless of what we do. Our daughter already knows more than she wants to know, so we don’t worry about her. Our sweet granddaughter is a vulnerable teen who is not ready for this sort of information, but it’s doubtful she would find it.

Then there are our personal friends. It’s easy to say that if friends don’t accept us, then they aren’t really friends, but it’s more complicated than that. Both of us have a few close high school pals whose thinking hasn’t evolved much during the past 45 years. We disagree with them, frankly on most issues, but our long shared history is a source of amusement and connection in a world where those are scarce commodities. These people would not comprehend our “perversion,” but they would be hard pressed to call attention to it without outing themselves.

Work associates are different matter. These relationships can occasionally become close, but are more frequently situational and transactional. The transition to telework has demonstrated how fleeting these gossamer links truly are. Both Randy and I are both sufficiently established in our positions that an unpleasant rumor, even one that’s true, could be probably survived. Those pesky human resources people remain a concern, but we don’t do anything illegal nor hurt anyone who doesn’t want to be hurt. And never during the workday (at least not until work from home).

So, to return to the original question, what would it mean to be out? We could post pictures of our faces. That’s something that I promised Randy that I would never do more than twenty years ago after a stalker came to our front door and talked with our teenage daughter (every mother has a nightmare that starts that way). Randy relented recently for a very old picture that looks nothing like I do today.

I think Randy would like to post some of the thousands of photos he has snapped of my spanked bottom. I would rather he didn’t. It’s one thing for people to know I get spankings and quite another for them to see my most unguarded moments in vivid color. Please no, not that, and the videos are worse.

So are we talking about attending spanking parties? Randy is an introvert and has no desire to go. Besides, we prefer to play as a couple and have no pressing need to expand our circle. But a munch might be fun.

By the end of the noodles, we decided that we are as out as we need to be. While the repercussions would probably be managed, there’s little advantage to us or anyone else to expose more.

A reader asked whether I am still wearing thong panties every day. The answer is yes. As I said in a previous post, the secret is finding the right style and size.

Our friend Mitch wrote to say that his venerable blog, All Things Spanking, is back. Check it out.

I read a vanilla discussion where women were discussing whether bras are still necessary in our work from home world. My take is that women should wear (or not wear) what is comfortable for them. I still wear one during the day from force of habit, but mine are not those medieval torture devices that some women endure just to keep their boobs where they are supposed to be. It’s good to have choices!

I added a new link that is not a blog but more like a forum. Randy introduced me to the Reddit r/spanking subreddit a couple of years ago and has convinced me to give them a link. The photographic content is a bit different than the familiar model pictures on bdsmlr (though we still love our model friends!).

I guess that’s about enough for now. What’s new with you?

12 comments :

Dan - A Disciplined Hubby said...

Hi Bonnie. I vacillate constantly about openness versus anonymity. Most of us are social creatures, and I think many have a natural aversion to covering up things that you're not ashamed of and, in fact, wouldn't mind sharing with like minded folks. Yet, I also think that the secrecy may add to the thrill of doing something perceived as "naughty" or "kinky."

I do wonder how much blow back there would be if we were more open. I think there could be some in my profession, which tends to be both conservative and competitive. Yet, maybe it's only a problem if you get "outed" versus just owning it? I don't know many people who are into my kind of spanking (domestic discipline, with me the recipient) who are really "out," but the few that are say the suffered few if any problems when they stopped hiding. Though, a couple of those have told me that while they are out now, they are retired and were not really out when they were in the work world.

I have outed myself to a very small number of people. A couple are from DD blog world, so it was more of a mutual outing. But, I have told one vanilla friend about it. I do like knowing that she knows, and it adds a little spice to our conversations now and then.

Roz said...

Hi Bonnie,

I enjoyed reading this potpourri. To be "out" or no as a spanko is something we all grapple with. We have attended a munch and an event, which was eye opening. Ultimately though, the only people we share this side of ourselves with are our blogfriends.

Hugs
Roz

Rich Person said...

It's a shame about your class and your theater group. The virus outbreak sure wreaked havoc with our lives.

I've never understood dick pics. It seems like normal rejection is hard enough, but having your privates rejected--I just can't imagine.

I love your blog roll. It is so comprehensive. I don't have the patience for Twitter, and I am not signed up for Tumblr (making most of their sites unavailable). But I have to compliment you for the breadth and depth of your links.

I'm also sorry you had to pull that post. I thought it was good, and I'm not sure why it wasn't well-received. You expressed an opinion. It seems like that's the best thing to use the Internet for!

As for being out, I wouldn't much mind if people knew about this private side of me, but I don't think it would be worth the risk. The world is full of people who want to do harm to others. I'd love to know more about my kinky Web acquaintances, but I don't want them to risk their physical or mental safety.

As for going to a munch, I would highly recommend it. I lived for a long time in a large metropolitan area with multiple munches, and I went to different ones, and to a nearby one for many months. It was very reaffirming to be among people with similar desires.

As for play parties, I've been to a large number of those, as well. But I don't think you would like participating, based on what you've told us. You might find it fascinating to watch what others are doing. I don't think you would be under any pressure to get personally involved. With that stipulation, you might investigate what's available in your area. In a way, you could get some of the experience of being out without the real risks of going public.

Thank you for hosting this blog. I know it's work and takes commitment. Let me say: Good job!

morningstar said...

GAH
I wrote a response and it went poof ( I think )
Said something along the lines of.....
Don't know why but I am surprised you're a teacher....cant imagine the trials of teaching virtually!
I used to attend monthly munchies and weekly play parties back in the day....but for us the 'quality' of both seem lacking now so we've retreated from public life - at a time ... funny enough... when it would be easier for both of us to be'out'

Have to say I love reading all your posts!
Stay well

robert said...

Wow.great article. What guys are doing is gross.also about telling friends we also do not tell our friends same reason.see our spanking relationship is great but backwards. I am a guy who gets the spanking see my wife loves spanking me and I love receiving it.man does she get me sore.but a good sore.thanks to you I no longer have the guilt feeling of my wife spanking me.we been married 29 years.and we only play with each other also.thanks for you article help us so so much through the years.
You educated us just say thanks so so much.

PK said...

Hey Bonnie, always great to see you here. I guess I’m as much out in real life as I can be without pushing it. I sell my books at local book stores and art shows. At this point in my life there is no reason to hide – my parents have passed on, my kids know, and like your daughter they really don’t want to think about it. I’m retired and my extended family, both mine and Nick’s know but never say a word about it. That suits me fine. One person, an old principal of mine, asked, after reading one on my books, if Nick did all that to me. My response was,” Of course, don’t you and your wife?” But I also pointed out that I didn’t believe that writers of murder mysteries went out and killed someone for research.”

I’m glad you and Randy are doing well and I hope it becomes safe for us all to be out soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bonnie,
Thank you for all that you do. Your blog is the first thing I log onto in the morning and I always enjoy what you have to say. Since my wife is very vanilla, I envy what you and Randy have.

Erica Scott said...

Always happy to see you post, Bonnie. Your presence is soothing -- I know that may sound weird, but in a sea of insanity, it's nice to know there are still some constants out there, and your blog is one of them.

Being "out" has its advantages, I suppose. But it's one of those things you can't undo. I don't have kids, I have almost no family, nearly all my friends are kinked, and I work for myself, so my risk was always minimal. However, I'm still careful about certain things, like putting my real name on any social media. It's not worth the aggravation of stalkers and crazies.

What's new -- nada. Doing our best to stay safe and healthy. Hunkering down, scared, angry, uncertain, and on top of it all, missing play and hugs and friends and dogs and so on. I haven't been blogging much, as there has been little new to say. Also, my last couple of posts got very few reads and even fewer comments. Hard to get in a spanko frame of mind what with all this craziness. But I'm working and keeping busy. John is working. That's all we can do for now.

Please stay safe, dear friend. We need you and love you.

Bonnie said...

Dan - I think you've hit upon the essential question - What is the true cost of coming out? Each situation will be different, but even in a single instance, it may be difficult to accurately gauge the implications before the fact. If we knew, our choices would be so much simpler.

Thanks for your comment!

Roz - Hi! It's always great to see you. Thank you again for your support. Please stay safe!

RP - Thank you for your in-depth response. The blogroll is my small way of making introductions among many like-minded friends. Not every site pleases every reader, but my hope is that most spankos will find something to their liking. And then they will explore and learn and share and experience and grow.

I am glad that we talked the question of being out all the way through to a reasonable conclusion with which I can live. It provided a degree of closure that I didn't have before.

I appreciate your advice on munches and parties. I know we have active groups in our town. People on Fetlife send me messages about them occasionally.

MS - Oh, I hate that! One stray click and everything is gone. I teach adult students as a side job. My day job is technical writing. That's what displaced journalists do to make ends meet in 2020. Thank you for your support and well wishes. Same to you! :)

Robert - If your relationship works for you, it isn't backwards. It's great to move beyond the guilt and start to feel pride in who and what we are. Truth is empowering.

I'm pleased that my words were helpful for you.

PK - Welcome! I didn't realize that you are now retired. That makes a huge difference for a school teacher! Good for you.

Yes, we definitely look forward to the world opening again. Until then, please stay safe.

Anon - Wow. Thank you. Our situation is not perfect, but I wouldn't change it. You folks make me want to write more!

Erica - Sweet Erica. It's always a pleasure to see you. I'm pleased that my words can inspire peace. I plan to return here when I can to share what I have.

My thoughts about Twitter were in part a result of reading your tweets and wishing I could voice my support. I see discussions, both spanko and vanilla, that would make fine writing prompts.

It's good to hear that you and John are safe and able to work, but I certainly understand the desire for a return to the old world. We're hunkering too.

Thank you for your kind words, and back atcha!

Windy said...

Bonnie,
I read this yesterday when you posted it, but had to ponder on it a while and then read it again tonight. Lots to think about here.

1. I am interested in a discussion about stress relief spanking. I wonder how different couples make it work.

2. I don't think I would want anybody in my vanilla life knowing about my kinky life even though it only takes place in the privacy of our bedroom at home and it's just Storm and me. Meaning, we're not looking to physically share it with anyone.

3. I do, however, feel a sense of relief at having found you gals in blog land. Just the blogs alone help settle things down for me as far as being a spanko goes.

4. It has helped to have a blog myself and to be generally well received.

5. Slowly, carefully, and individually getting to know just couple of gals behind the blog satisfies my need to know, trust, and confide in this special spanking secret. It's not even that we talk about it all that much, but affirming similar lifestyles feels good.

Very interesting post, here, Bonnie! I look forward to more. I'm sorry that you are less busy with all the things that you normally do, especially what you enjoy, but I am glad to see you writing here as I came late to blog land and missed out on all the prime blogging years, I guess! Gah! Hugs, Windy

Bonnie said...

Windy - Thank you for numbering your points. It makes it easier for me to address them without forgetting anything.

1. For me, a stress relief spanking is a wonderful, rejuvenating experience. It's sort of like a deep tissue massage that focuses upon just two spots. I am positioned OTK. The pace is slow, but steady. Sometimes, there are candles, scented oil, and/or chill music. The intensity starts relatively low and builds. He typically uses an implement, but not anything ferocious. He stops periodically to caress my bottom, legs, hips, and lower back. When he begins spanking again, it follows the same pattern with a gradual build-up. When it's done, I am sore to be sure. After all, this is a real spanking. But I am incredibly relaxed and happy. This routine does wonders for my psyche.

2. That's what I said for years. Only recently, since we've been living in isolation have I wondered whether we are missing out. Perhaps? Perhaps not.

3. Finding the spanko blogging world 15 years ago changed our lives. I had spent time in forums since the nineties so we knew that we weren't the only spankos in the world. But it was those relationships that were transformational for me. I found women who were like me and shared my interests. They were full of clever ideas and helpful suggestions. What fun!

4. Yes, definitely! Me too.

5. I completely agree. Please know that you are always welcome here.

I enjoy blogging, but it seems to run in cycles. I posted almost every day for years. I maintained long lists of posts I wanted to write. And then one day, the muse was gone. I ran out of new ideas and disliked recycling the old ones. So I backed off, then I went silent for a year, and then I came back. Now I joke that I am a semi-retired blogger. But I'm still here on my terms. It's my readers and friends who draw me back again and again. Together we can collectively celebrate our common interests and shared culture. I love that.

Windy said...

Wow, what a wonderful and helpful response, Bonnie. Thank you!
It is difficult for sure when the writing well dries up. It's interesting the things that come back around and inspire us anew. Great job on following the ebb and flow of blogging for so many years! Thanks again for sharing in more detail here. Hugs, Windy

Post a Comment